Wednesday, December 3, 2008

The babies come home.

On Oct. 31st I got a box of 25 baby chicks. One of the babies was packed in the corner of the box and he didn't look too good. I was worried about him at first. The next day he was fine, but the day after that he looked bad again. Later that day, I put him in a box (mom wrote on it "chicken hospital Dr. Kasey). I tried to give him food and water, but he wouldn't eat or drink. We went out to dinner, and when we came back we then had 24 chicks.
When I put my hand down in the brooder, one of the white chicks jumped into my hand and I thought to myself "Cluckles" and this is how the story started.....
Michael helped me build this brooder for them. We ordered the chicks at the online Welp Hatchery in Iowa. http://www.welphatchery.com/
I chose 4 different breeds. Barred Plymouth Rock. Black Australorp. Black Sex Link (a.k.a. Black Star). And the famous Cluckles is a Rhode Island White. I have learned a lot about breeding, medical care, feeding, and taking care of chickens. It is a lot of fun.
One time I got so scared because I noticed that all the chicks had a yucky disease that hurts them, I had to medicate them, most people would use the medication, but I keep our chickens natural. The cure was Vitamin D milk. It worked great!
The chicks are actually my birthday present and I have a lot of fun and I just can't wait till they can be outside because cleaning their cage is disgusting.
Posted by kasey at 12:49 AM 0 comments


1 comment:

Dawn S. said...

We had chicks when I was little and it was a lot of fun and a stinky, poopy mess sometimes, but worth it! :)